Sunday, August 8, 2010

Amelia Earhart was lost at sea-That is totally new information!

Amelia (Liked It)--This movie has been much maligned by critics. It's far from perfect, but I don't think it's as bad as some have let on. The things I found disappointing about this movie were that all I really found out was that Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic solo and she was lost at sea while trying to circumnavigate the world. I already knew that. I don't expect biopics to be deep or hugely revelatory or even all that accurate, but this one was so basic that it just could have been better. Hillary Swank does look very much like Amelia, but that's not enough. I would have liked them to just explain more. I don't just want a picture to look pretty and that's what this one did. Why did Amelia have an open relationship with her husband? What ended the affair with Gene Vidal? What drove her to take the risks she did? And was it really all her navigators fault? I don't think so. It just could have been better and that's what's disappointing. However, if you don't know anything about her, watch a documentary and then watch this film. There are some positives, including the feel of the 20's and 30's and the highlights of her ground breaking flights. I've spent two hours doing worse things than watching this film. It's also PG, so it's very family friendly. The affair is only alluded to, there's very little bad language, and they try to tell a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment